Thursday 12 March 2015

Why I'm Buying an Apple Watch Day One


Yes I'm buying an Apple Watch day one. I'll be first in line for Apple.com come April 10th and it's not entirely because I'm a sucker for anything Apple (although I most definitely am). It's safe to say there's been a mixed response to Apple's bet on the smartwatch market and you can trace it all the way back to the original announcement in September. Despite that, there are a few reasons to be optimistic about the Apple Watch.


The Edition is Ridiculous

First things first, lets get one thing out of the way, the Apple Watch Edition is just utterly pointless. It's not my model of choice and, going by the price, it won't be many people's. Apple's clearly shooting for the luxury watch market with the Edition, but the entire point of a luxury watch is that it's an investment. You're buying something hand-crafted that lasts forever, Apple's Watch will be almost obsolete a year from now. So unless you have $10000 to burn slowly over 12 months, obviously it's a big no no. However...

It's Just So Convenient

I've got to say I'm actually really looking forward to not rummaging around in my pockets every 5 minutes trying to fish out my phone because I thought it vibrated but it actually didn't. I'll be able to leave my phone in my bag with the knowledge that I'll get a gentle tap on the wrist every time it wants my attention. No more phone anxiety, no more blindly crossing roads which checking e-mails and no more narrowly missing phone calls. I know it's not exactly a $349 inconvenience, but I've got a feeling it's going to be one of those things you'd hate to do without once you've experienced it.

Apple Pay

If you're like me and you're still tied down to an iPhone 5/5S, or even more so if you've got an unlocked phone, the Apple Watch represents a much cheaper entry into the world of Apple Pay. I'm fully anticipating holding onto my iPhone 5S for a few extra years  given that the Apple Watch allows me access to Apple's contactless payment system without having to shell out for an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. In fact, the phone almost becomes a secondary device (although Apple will never admit it). It also comes back to convenience again, whats the point in marketing Apple Pay as more convenient if you have to scramble through phone menus before you can use it. I've many a time seen Samsung Galaxy users fumbling around at checkouts, insisting that using their phone is quicker. Whereas, the prospect of waving my watch against a barrier to get onto a train fills the geek in me with utter joy (sad I know).

The Future's Bright

I can totally understand if you're not sold on what the Apple Watch currently has to offer, but I am sold enough to bet on the Apple Watch's future prospects. Applications in the smart home have already been hinted at. While using the watch to control an Apple TV could be just the beginning as far as entertainment goes. Siri voice commands for Apple TV are a distinct future possibility. Where the Apple Watch will really be tested lies largely out of Apple's own control and in the will and invention to developers to make use of the watch. I have no doubt we'll see some cool Apple watch apps in this first year and it only takes a few to totally transform the Apple Watch's capabilities.

When all's said and done, the Apple Watch needs early adopters in order to evolve and find it's real uses. I intend on being one of them.

Image: